Non-material amendments guidance

Occasionally an applicant may wish to make alterations to a scheme after it has been granted planning approval. Minor changes to approved plans can be dealt with under an amended plan procedure.

The application form, to which a link is provided below, should be completed and relevant notices served on land owners. Please ensure you download the guidance notes in addition to the application form, as these explain in full what information is required when submitting this application.

Is a fee payable for making this application?

Yes. The fee payable for this type of application is £34 if the application is a householder application; in all other cases the fee payable is £234.

What can be handled as a non-material amendment?

S96A of the Town and County Planning Act 1990 says the following:
"In deciding whether a change is material, a Local Planning Authority must have
regard to the effect of the change, together with previous changes made under this section, on the planning permission as originally granted."

We will in most cases accept the following as minor amendments to previously approved plans:

  • Reduction in the volume/size of the building/extension
  • Reduction in the height of the building/extension
  • Amendments to windows/doors/openings that will not have any impact on neighbouring properties.
  • Alterations to the design of the proposed building or changes to the siting of the building.

We consider the following to normally take a development beyond the scope of the permission and will therefore require a fresh application to be submitted:

  • Increase in the volume of the building/extension
  • Increase in the height of the building/extension
  • Changes which would conflict with a condition on the original approval
  • Additional and/or repositioned windows/doors/openings that will have an impact on neighbouring properties
  • Changes which would alter the description of development from the original application
  • Amendments that would mean a re-consultation either of neighbours, council departments or statutory bodies

What is the process for applying for non-material amendments?

The process for applying for non-material amendments to approved plans is similar to applying for planning permission. We will assess the submitted plans and will respond in writing as to whether or not the changes proposed are acceptable as an non-material amendment.

Consideration of an application will be delayed if you do not complete the form properly or do not provide the information requested including the correct fee.

If you are unsure of the information required for this type of application, please use the Planning Portal.