Freedom of Information


The Freedom of Information Act 2000 encourages public authorities to proactively publish as much information as possible.

Under the Act, we are required to adopt a publication scheme which contains information we routinely make available, and ensure that information is published in accordance with the scheme. Link to the publication scheme information we make available.

Making a Freedom of Information request

If the information you want is not currently published, you can request it from us. All requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act must be in writing and must include your name and an address for the response. This can be sent either by post to the address below, emailed to or by using the FOI request form link above. Please provide a description of the information that you are seeking from the Council. It may be helpful to provide a contact number as well in case we need to contact you about your request.

Address for postal correspondence: Freedom of Information Officer, Epsom & Ewell Borough Council, Town Hall, The Parade, Epsom KT18 5BY

Highways, education and schools, adult and children's social services

If you are requesting information about highways, education and schools, adult and children's social services you need to send your request to Surrey County Council as Epsom & Ewell Borough Council is not responsible for these services. Requests can be sent to or by post to Freedom of Information Officer, Legal Democratic & Cultural Services, County Hall,
Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 2DN

What happens next?

You will receive an acknowledgement of your request with a reference number allocated to it and a date by which you should receive a response. If the Council Officer who is dealing with your request requires any clarification on the terms of your request they will contact you. 

Sometimes we receive requests for information held by other public bodies and we will let you know which public body may be able to assist. We may also ask you if you would like us to forward on your request to that organisation.

The response to your request will be provided via email or post. If the Council has decided to refuse to disclose some or all of the information that you have requested the reason for doing so will be explained with reference to the relevant exemptions to disclosure set out in the Act.

What to do if you are not satisfied with the response or the way in which the request has been dealt with

If you are not satisfied with the way we have handled your request or with the reasons we have given for refusing to provide information, you have the right to appeal. In the first instance you will be able to seek an internal review by other Council Officers of that decision. This will be undertaken by an officer who was not involved with the original decision. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the Internal Review you can complain to the Information Commissioner details of which will be provided in the response to your FOI request.

Frequent Freedom of Information Responses

Below are responses to some of our most frequent freedom of Information request. The information is updated on a regular basis by the relevant Council Officers and the date that the data is extracted is in the title of the spreadsheet.

  • Account references are not included as these are personal to the account and are used to ensure that a rate payer is actually the account holder when they contact the council.
  • Information  relating to individuals has been removed from  this data as it is exempt from disclosure under Section 40(2) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.


Most of the information the Council provides in response to requests will be subject to copyright protection.  This includes attachments.  In most cases the copyright will be owned by Epsom & Ewell Borough Council.  However, the copyright in some information may be owned by a third party.  You are free to use any information supplied in this response for your own non-commercial research or private study purposes.  The information may also be used for any other purpose allowed by a limitation or exception in copyright law, such as news reporting. 

Except as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the information supplied may not be copied, distributed, published, or exploited for commercial purposes, financial gain or direct marketing.

If you want to re-use the information provided and the Council is the copyright owner you must make an application to the Council under the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015. Where the copyright is owned by a third party, you must obtain the third party’s consent in order to re-use the information.

Full list of NNDR properties including liability start date - 20 April 2022