- Persons who are in possession of a current Hackney Carriage Drivers licence can drive both Hackney Carriages and Private Hire vehicles.
- Persons who are in possession of a current Private Hire Drivers licence can drive Private Hire Vehicles only.
Applicants must be:
- over 21
- have held a full driver's licence (issued by DVLA or European Union Country) for 24 months minimum
In addition to the application form, you will need to:
- Supply us with completed application form to obtain a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS) (must be made through Licensing team)
- Completed medical certificate from your registered Doctor or GP
- 2 passport sized photographs
- Appropriate fee. Please find our fees here: Vehicle licensing fees.
- Pass a Private Hire knowledge test or where applicable a Hackney Carriage Driver knowledge test.
- Penalty Points Scheme
- Terms and Conditions of Licence Hackney Carriage Drivers and Private Hire Drivers
- Licences expire on the expiry date shown on the licence.
- Drivers must notify the Council, in writing and within seven days, if they acquire any points on their driving licence, or they change their address.
- Drivers should return their badge to the Council upon renewal or if they stop working for a private hire operator.
- Disclosure Barring Service (DBS formerly CRB) checks are required every three years.
- Drivers over 65 years will be required to have a medical every two years and if you are over 70, a medical every year.