Noise nuisance


Noise nuisance

Environmental Health commonly deal with noise from:

  • DIY work
  • barking dogs
  • loud music
  • construction sites
  • pubs and clubs
  • car and intruder alarms.

If you cannot resolve the issue by discussing it with the person causing the disturbance, and if the problem is persistent, you can report the noise to us.

Once the department has received your complaint regarding noise further evidence will be required to progress the investigation. When you have logged your complaint you will be sent noise log sheets which need to be completed over a period of 3-4 weeks, which need to be returned to the department.  

The diary sheets will be reviewed by a member of the Environmental Health team to determine what action, if any, can be taken.

The Local Authority are still using the Noise App, however you will need to be given authorisation to use it, if the officer thinks it is necessary for you to submit recordings. You will be provided with an access code for the App. You can then decide whether you wish to use this and make submissions when you are being disturbed. These recordings would be listened to in conjunction with any information submitted on the diary sheets.  

You can use the form at the top of this page to register your complaint.

Construction site noise

Reasonable levels of noise are acceptable from a building site between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturday. There should be no noise from sites on Sundays or Public Holidays. Occasionally planning permission will allow slight variations on these times.

You can report this using the form at the top of this page.

Vehicle alarms

When vehicle alarms sound they are most likely to be attended to by the owner within a reasonable length of time.  Where they are unable to attend through holiday or being absent from the area, and the noise is causing a nuisance, we will consider taking action to silence the noise, and if necessary we will employ a locksmith to disable the alarm at the owner’s expense.

Further Information

Intruder alarms
Building work
Noise from DIY building works
Burglar alarms
Enjoying the party
Defra - Noise and Nuisance, Neighbourhood Issues