Councillor John Beckett
John was first elected as a Borough Councillor in 2003 and has been serving the local community for the last sixteen years. He has served on many different committees during his years on the Council including 4 years as the Chairman of the Environment Committee.
He was born in Kingston Upon Thames and grew up in Old Malden. John moved to Epsom in 1993 when he met Alison. They married in 1995 and subsequently moved to their home in Ewell. They have a daughter, Emily who is currently attending the University Of Surrey.
He began working for Dixon’s Electrical in Kingston specialising in the new home computer market.
He then switched careers and joined British Telecom as a field engineer. He progressed through the ranks working in several different divisions in a variety of roles. John found he enjoyed working with others and excelled in the training and development arena.
During his 22 years with the company, John decided to further his own education and undertook his professional qualifications in electrical engineering and business development. Following his promotion, he managed the company’s Modern Apprentices and Graduates schemes. John’s last role was managing the company’s computer training system.
John subsequently set up his own property maintenance company in 2008 and his business takes him all around the Borough.
My theme for the year is, "Understanding". We all lead busy lives and until you are directly affected by illness, bereavement or mental health problems, it is just something that happens to other people. We live in difficult times and we need to understand that everybody is different but we all have more in common than we think.
- The East Surrey Branch of the MND Association provides care and support to around 60 people living with MND throughout the East Surrey area, as well as helping to fund vital research into the disease itself.
- Epsom and Ewell Phab is a youth club for young disabled and non disabled people. Our aim is ‘Making More Of Life Together’ – everything we do is inclusive. We are run entirely by volunteers.
- Alzheimer’s Society is the UK’s leading dementia charity. We provide information and support, improve care, fund research, and create lasting change for people affected by dementia.
For more information, please go to www.mayorscharitiesepsom.org.uk
Mayor's attendance at events
The Mayor is always pleased to receive invitations to local events and to meet representatives of local community groups, schools, youth groups and charitable organisations. If you would like the Mayor to support your organisation by attending your special event or require any other information, please do not hesitate to contact the Mayor's Secretary.
Patron and awards
During the Mayoral year, the Mayor is Honorary Member of:
- The Royal Automobile Club
- The Epsom Club
- Epsom Rotary Club
During the Mayoral year, the Mayor is President or Patron of the following organisations:
- Epsom & Ewell Puffins Club
- Epsom Common Association
- Epsom Age Concern
- Epsom & Ewell Phab
- Epsom & Ewell Talking Newspapers for the Blind
- Epsom & Ewell Citizens Advice Bureau
- Epsom & Ewell Town Twinning Association
- Conquest Art
- Epsom & Ewell Multi Faith Forum
The Mayor's Secretary
Telephone: 01372 732000