The Annual Canvass
Every year Epsom & Ewell Borough Council is required to undertake a canvass, to ensure our records are kept up to date.
The annual canvass for the 2019 Register of Electors started on 17 August and will finish in November with the new register published on 1 December 2018.
Every residential property in the borough will be sent a Household Enquiry Form (HEF) so we can confirm that the register is correct, to collect names of new people or to remove anyone no longer at the property.
It is a legal requirement to respond to this form and this year you have 3 options as to how you make the return:
• Online at the household response website using the security codes on the front of the form
• Post - return the paper form in the prepaid envelope
• Phone - if there are no changes to the details on the form you can call 0800 197 9871 you will need the security codes on the front of the form
If we don’t receive a response to the form we are legally required to send a reminder and/or someone to visit your property, so please respond as soon as you receive your form.
Once the HEF form is returned we will send information either by email or post to each unregistered person named on the form on how to register. The easiest way to register is via the national voter registration website www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.
The two versions of the register
The Electoral Registration Officer makes and keeps two versions of the electoral register.
• The full register - This lists everyone who is entitled to vote. This is the register that is used for running elections and for other specified uses as prescribed by law (contact Electoral Services for more information). The full register is a public document and it can be inspected by anyone. The full register is not available on the internet, it is in paper format only and any inspection of the register must be done under supervision. It is held at the Town Hall and if you wish to look at the full register, please contact Electoral Services to arrange an appointment.
• The open register – This version can be bought by anyone and used for any purpose such as putting your personal details on the internet and mail marketing. Being on the open register is optional so if you do not want your details sold on you can say NO. The open register is also held at the Town Hall and can be viewed on request during office hours Mon-Fri.
Want to come off the open register?
If your details are on the open register and you wish them to come off then you can ask for them to be removed. Contact electoral services by email, giving your name and address to email@example.com or by phoning the helpline 01372 732120 or 732152.
You can also go back onto the open register by following the same process.
Checking the new register
The new register will be published on 1 December 2018 and can be checked after that date at the Town Hall.
The new register will be used to run any elections that are held in 2018.
Please note: You are not automatically registered to vote by registering to pay Council Tax. This is because you may be eligible to pay Council Tax but not be eligible to vote. You should also be aware that not registering to vote may affect your credit history.
Need more help?
If you need more advice, please contact electoral services at the Town Hall, The Parade, Epsom Surrey, KT18 5BY Tel: 01372 732120 or 732152 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your personal information
We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. We will look after personal information securely and we will follow the Data Protection Act 1998. We will not give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else or another organisation unless we have to by law.