Social Prescribing is a free service through your GP that puts you in touch with a wide range of local services and activities in the community to support you to improve your overall wellbeing.
How can Social Prescribing help me?
Social Prescribing can help link you up to social or physical activities in your community and could help if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Feeling lonely or socially isolated
- Looking for more social contact
- Stress / Depression
- Anxiety / Lacking confidence
- Wanting to improve physical health
- Long-term conditions
- Needing practical support and information to improve your situation
What are the benefits of Social Prescribing?
- Reduced isolation and loneliness
- Increased mobility
- Depleted levels of anxiety
- Managed depression
- Lasting friendships and acquaintances
- New skills learned
- Increased fitness
What local services might I be signposted to?
- Physical wellbeing e.g. exercise / balance classes
- Social Centres for the community
- Advice and information
- Mental wellbeing
- Housing advice and adaptations
- Council services - Leisure services
- Community groups
- Befriending schemes
How can I get a referral?
Your GP may recognise that you would benefit from some additional support to improve your health and wellbeing, and suggest a referral. You can also request a referral yourself through your GP.
What happens after a referral is made?
Once your GP has made the referral to the Social Prescribing Service, we can offer a 1:1 meeting (or a conversation over the phone if you prefer) where you can talk about your concerns and the factors that affect your health. Your Link Worker will then support you for up to six weeks and help you to identify and organise assistance through council, community and voluntary organisations available locally.
For more information about Social Prescribing, including what local services you might be signposted to and what happens after a referral is made, please request a brochure.
Community and Wellbeing Centre
Tel: 01372 732483 or 07803 831189.