Epsom & Ewell Borough Council is committed to supporting local business in these difficult and challenging times. Please read our latest newsletter for information, guidance and advice on business support available or sign up to receive our business newsletter.
Coronavirus: Support for local businesses
Free Business Support from Government
The Government's Business Support Website brings together information and advice for small businesses in one place. The website splits the support schemes into four areas:
- Finance and business planning - including funding for new businesses and business growth, dealing with late payments, and equity and debt finance
- Leadership and Talent - including mentoring schemes, help with recruiting, developing leadership skills or joining a network
- Innovation and Technology - including funding for innovation, adoption of new technology, intellectual property and finding partners for innovation
- Exporting - including support for doing business internationally and expanding online
Businesses can also contact the Business Support Helpline for one-to-one advice by calling 0300 456 3565 or by using the LiveChat function.
The Government has announced a full range of business support measures available to UK businesses. Further information, including financial support packages for businesses, advice on how to operate your business, support for your employees, including workers’ wage costs, and information on changes to planning and regulations can be found on their website.
Eat out to help out
The Government’s “Eat out to help out” scheme has now launched. Diners will be able to enjoy half-price meals in more than 72,000 venues throughout August. Businesses can now register to join the scheme or find out which restaurants are taking part.
New guidance finder (online search tool)
To help employers reopen their businesses safely, the Government have launched a new tool to identify the most relevant guidance for your business. The guidance highlighted will help you carry out a risk assessment and make sensible adjustments to the site and workforce. Use this guidance finder to get tailored information about the measures you need to take to reopen your business safely.
Guidance and advice from The Federation of Small Businesses
The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has published news, guidance and advice to help small businesses and the self-employed during the Covid-19 pandemic. Self-employed and small businesses can also get advice from the FSB by joining its private Facebook group, called ‘FSB COVID-19 Support’ (non-members can join this group). The FSB is also organising Virtual Networking Events to support businesses.
Reopening High Streets Safely
Epsom & Ewell has received funding as part of the Government’s £50m Re-opening High Streets Safely Fund. The wider fund has been established to help councils in England introduce a range of safety measures to enable people to get back to work and for customers back to the shops.
Plans are being developed with partners and businesses to introduce measures, including assisting social distancing and making temporary public realm changes in Epsom town centre and other shopping parades, to help make them safe and welcoming
For more information, please visit our reopening high streets safely page.
You might also be interested in find out about our Small Business Grant and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant.
The Best Of... Epsom & Ewell e-Book
The Best of Epsom and Ewell have put together a new e-booklet called 'Operation Protect: a practical plan for Epsom and Ewell business owners'. The guide, written by Nigel Stickland, focuses on the important things you can do (even in lockdown) to help protect your business during the current crisis.
Coast to Capital Growth Hub
Coast to Capital Growth Hub advisers are available to businesses for initial telephone discussions and signposting for specialist financial advice.
Online workshops will be held in the coming days and weeks on issues related to business resilience, cash-flow management and home working methods.
Meanwhile, Coast to Capital is conducting regular conference calls with business support and membership organisations to understand issues businesses are facing and communicate these to the government to help inform future support.
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy has asked Growth Hubs to report weekly on the economic impact.
The Growth Hub is working hard to provide an additional support package for local businesses and further updates will follow.
Events and training
Epsom & Ewell Borough Council is proud to sponsor the Grow Your Business Show again this year. The business expo takes place on 17 September 2020 at Epsom Racecourse. For more information and to book your place www.growyourbusinessshow.co.uk To take a look at some of the highlights of the 2019 show on our YouTube channel.
Hot House Business Programme - Open for applications
The Business Hot House programme has recently launched, offering support to more than 1,000 firms and 500 start-up entrepreneurs to improve productivity and innovation. The project provides opportunities for established small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to strengthen their business practices and make them more profitable.
Support will be delivered through workshops, bootcamps, peer-to-peer groups and business mentoring sessions running throughout the Coast to Capital area. The project is being delivered by the University of Chichester Business School. More information at Business Hothouse Programme
Surrey Chambers of Commerce
Surrey Chambers of Commerce run an extensive programme of events for members and non-members, including business networking, training opportunities and speaker breakfasts. More information at www.surrey-chambers.co.uk/event-listing/
Nescot are holding business breakfast sessions on the first Tuesday of every month at the Skills Park. There will be a short presentation on a specific topic from a sponsoring company then and opportunity to rout NESCOT's facilities. For more information, contact the Business Centre on firstname.lastname@example.org
NESCOT delivers Intermediate, Advances and Higher Apprenticeship levels across a wide range of industries. If you are looking to hire new team members, or develop your existing workforce, NESCOT can help you reach the next generation of motivate and local employees with industry –relevant knowledge and practical skills. For more information contact the Business Centre on 0208 394 8593 or email@example.com
Free, live webinars from HMRC
HMRC’s range of webinars support businesses, helping to make tax matters easier, quicker, and simpler. Webinars last about an hour, they are live and interactive so questions can be asked by participants. You can find out about PAYE, Self Employment, VAT, and Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) for Contractors and Subcontractors, Property Income, Record Keeping and other topics. For more information, visit the website.
Business support services
Go Epsom, the town centre Business Improvement District, is pleased to announce the appointment of a new Manager, Karen Pengelly. Karen's chief focus at the moment will be providing support and assistance to all BID levy paying businesses and reassuring the public that Epsom remains a safe destination. The BID is working closely with the Council on safety measures within the town centre and will be sending regular newsletters over the next couple of weeks to communicate what is being done to ensure that Epsom is safe for visitors and workers before shops reopen. For more information visit www.goepsom.com
- The Coast to Capital Growth Hub provides free and impartial government funded business support in East Surrey, which can help businesses achieve growth. Support includes:
- Growth Grants – if you are an established and growing business based in the Coast to Capital area you could apply for a grant of up to 40% of project costs, covering the cost of capital investments that provides an opportunity to innovate or improve productivity.
- Escalator Programme – this programme helps scale- up and growth businesses through a series of facilitated peer to peer groups, which focus on barriers to growth with solution driven outcome
- Growth Champions – the Growth Champion Network is a collection of consultants, all carefully curated as experts in their respected field, able to provide specialist support for business. Coast to Capital are able to fund a day of support from consultants.
- Coast to Capital Business Navigator is a web portal for business. It includes an online directory of business support organisations and a calendar of business events in the Coast to Capital area.
- Gatwick Diamond Initiative is a business led-partnership and a good resource for business information including details of locations and sites, as well as local business events
- Surrey Chambers of Commerce is the county's largest independent not-for-profit business support and networking organisation. We utilise the expertise and experience of thousands of businesses (55,000 business people). Sitting at the heart of the business community, Surrey Chambers of Commerce acts as a catalyst by connecting you to opportunities, skills, knowledge and valuable contacts. We connect over 5,000 business people every year, providing a range of high quality services to help you grow your business, increase your contacts and obtain the right kind of support for your organisation.
- Department for International Trade helps business export and grow into global markets
- Federation of Small Business offers members a wide range of business services including advice, financial expertise, support and a powerful voice in government.
- The Epsom & Ewell Borough Investment Fund (BIF) offers grants to owners and occupiers of commercial buildings within the borough to improve and enhance their shop fronts. The scheme aims to encourage the creation of attractive frontages, to enhance the character of the region, which could have significant economic benefits.
- SME Innovation Vouchers 2020: Would your company benefit from collaboration with the University of Surrey, access to cutting-edge academic expertise and state of the art facilities? There's help available to overcome business challenges and support to develop and grow your business.
- Broadband Vouchers available - a new voucher scheme has been introduced to help accomplish the government's ambition to have full fibre broadband coverage of the UK by 2033. There are two gigabit voucher schemes which has a finite amount of Government funding so any business who are interested should investigate as soon as possible.
- Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership has launched its 2020 Growth Grant Programme. The programme provides grant funding to small and medium sized enterprises and social enterprises in the Coast to Capital area and is designed to stimulate capital investment to help businesses introduce innovation and improve productivity. Businesses are encouraged to discuss their growth plans with their local Growth Hub Account Manager and to determine their eligibility. You can be directed to your local Account Manager by calling 01293 305965 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Coast to Capital also has a range of loans and funds for local businesses, including the Growing Places Fund for projects that have stalled due to lack of investment, Expansion Loan Scheme and Equity Fund. For more information please visit www.coast2capital.org.uk.
- Virgin Start Up Loans: A StartUp loan of £500-£25,000 available, along with a business mentor to help make best use of the loan.
- Fredericks Foundation Start-up loans and support for those who have found it difficult to access finance.
- The Princes' Trust helps 18-30 year olds who are unemployed, under employed or who have limited means to start-up businesses.
- Visit the GOV.UK website and use the business support finder to identify possible sources of finance including grants, loans and investment, and business support including mentoring and consultancy services.
The UK has left the EU. There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. Find out what EU transition means for your business.
Video: Everything you need to know about Epsom and Ewell
A promotional film created by The University for the Creative Arts to showcase Epsom and Ewell as a unique place to live, work and study. Special thanks go to Vice Chancellor Bashir Makhoul, Andy Blair (Director of Marketing, UCA) and Epsom-born Warwick Davis for his voice-over talents and support for this fantastic community project.