We are committed to ensuring that everyone can have access to our services, can share in our achievements and that we can make the best possible use of the wide range of talent available to us.
Under the Equality Act 2010, it is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:
- being or becoming a transsexual person
- being married or in a civil partnership
- being pregnant or on maternity leave
- race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
- religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
- sexual orientation
These are called protected characteristics.
We want to be open and transparent to all members of our community. Working together with our residents and partners we will work to build a culture of respect for everyone in our Borough to achieve a strong, modern and fair society. Our aim is to eliminate discrimination, further equality of opportunity and promote good relations between the diverse groups in our community.
Our equality and diversity ambitions are set out in the document below.