Fast Track Service


From 1 April 2024, Epsom and Ewell will offer a fast-track service for householder planning applications and proposed lawful development certificates (except where the dwelling is a listed building). This ensures a faster determination of applications than the statutory 56 day timeframe.


Householder applications will be determined within 35 days and certificates of lawfulness within 21 days. Days specified includes weekends but does not include bank holidays.


The fee is £350 for a householder application and £150 for a lawful development certificate. This is in addition to the normal application fee. There are no exemptions.

How to apply

  • Submit your application through the Planning Portal in the usual manner (you will find further advice on how to do that here)

  • Complete the online Fast track application form linked at the top of this page to notify the Council that you wish for your application to be assessed as part of the fast track service, quoting your Planning Portal number

  • Pay the required fee via the online payment system, taking note of the transaction number. Alternatively, you can pay be debit or credit card by phoning Customer Services on 01372 732000

  • It is strongly advised that the online form and payment of the fee is completed at the same time as the submission of the application via the planning portal (and not later than 24 hours later) as it is possible that the application will be validated prior to the Council being advised of a fast track application

  • The Council will then send you an acknowledgement letter by email within 48 days of the fee being paid to confirm whether the application is valid or invalid.


The Council will validate the application within 48 hours of receipt of the fee for the fast-track application. If made valid, the fast-track ‘clock’ commences at this point. If the application is invalid, the ‘clock’ will commence at the time of receipt of the information to make the application valid. Further advice about how to avoid your application being made invalid can be found here


The case officer will make contact with the applicant or agent to arrange a site visit within 28 days. All reasonable steps must be taken to ensure that the site visit can be undertaken within a timely manner.

A decision cannot be issued prior to 29 days after validation of the application. This is because the Council’s Scheme of Delegations allows for householder applications to be ‘called in’ to be considered at the Planning Committee up to 7 days after the neighbour consultation period has concluded. As the Committee meets on a monthly basis, it is unlikely that an application will be determined within the specified 35 day timeframe and if this is the case, your fast track fee will be refunded, less an administration fee.

It is not possible for amendments to be made to the scheme after submission of the application. However, the case officer may seek minor amendments if these amendments would result in a positive outcome and these can be produced within 24 hours of the initial request. Whether amendments are sought are at the discretion of the case officer and the Planning Manager and all decisions are final.


Refunds will only apply in the following circumstances:

  • Where the Council does not fulfil its obligations to determine a householder application or certificate of lawfulness within the specified period

  • Where withdrawal of the application or fast track service (or both) is requested in writing within 14 days of the submission of the fast-track application

  • Where all reasonable steps are made to ensure access has been provided to enable a site visit within 28 days of the submission of the fast-track application

  • Where the application is called into Planning Committee and it is not possible for the matter to be determined within 35 days

  • Where the application is not required to be amended (either by the Council or the applicant/agent)

  • Where the Council is able to validate the application at the first attempt.

Further information or comments

For further information, contact If you are dissatisfied with the service, you can view the complaints procedure here.