Council Tax Energy Rebate

On the 3 February 2022, the Chancellor announced that Council Tax payers who live in a band A to D property will receive a one-off payment of £150. The payment is to support households with rising energy costs. The rebate is not part of your Council Tax and will not appear on your bill.

Please do not email or phone us about the £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate. We do not have any extra information at this time. Your enquiry will prevent us providing other services and making arrangements to deliver the rebate. This page will be updated when more details are known.

How do I receive payment?

If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit. The rebate will go directly into your bank account. If you do not pay by Direct Debit, you may wish to sign up. This will make sure the rebate is paid to you as soon as possible. You can sign up to pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit by visiting our Paying your Council tax Page.

If you do not pay by Direct Debit, we will provide details on how to claim this payment. We will provide an update here once we have arrangements in place to contact people. This will not be until the end of May.

When will payment be made?

Payments will be made between May 2022 and 30 September 2022.

We recently received guidance from the government and are working through the details. This is likely to involve changes to our computer system and processes and may take some time. We will work to make the payments as soon as possible. We will update this page as soon as we have a better understanding.

Who is eligible?

The Council Tax payer on 1 April 2022 for a property which is in Council Tax Bands A - D.

Only one payment will be made to a household.

The other main criteria are:

  • The property is someone's sole or main residence
  • The property is not unoccupied, exempt from Council Tax or a second home. Some limited households with exemptions will still qualify such as:
    • Those occupied by students
    • Severely mentally impaired
    • Occupied solely by under 18 year olds
    • Annexes occupied by a dependant relative

The rebate will not be applicable where the person who is liable to pay the Council Tax is:

  • A local authority
  • A corporate body or
  • Another body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

These lists are not exhaustive and will be updated

What if I don't pay Council Tax because I receive full Local Council Tax Support?

You will receive the £150 Energy Rebate if you qualify under the rules summarised above.

How can I find out what Council Tax Band my property is in?

If you're unsure which Council Tax Band you are in, you can check your Council Tax Bill or you can check your Council Tax Band online.

What if I live in a band E to H house?

The government have provided us with limited funds to make some discretionary payments. These are for those struggling with energy bills who live in bands E to H. We don't yet know the details of who will qualify for a discretionary payment. We will update this page as soon as we know more.

Where can I find out more information?

Read about the Council Tax Energy Rebate on the website.