Coronavirus (Covid-19): Council services update

Council services

We are working hard to safeguard our residents (and staff) and to keep essential services running. While we will endeavour to deliver the majority of our services as normal, some will be modified as we follow Government, Public Health England and NHS guidelines.

At this busy time, please contact us via our online form where possible or email Remember you can also use our report it/apply for it/pay for it pages from the home page of this website.

Town Hall

The Town Hall has a limited reception desk service open on Mondays and Fridays from 9am - 12noon.  On Wednesdays, the limited reception desk service is open from 1pm - 4pm.  Toilets in the building will remain closed until further notice.

Our Contact Centre team are available by phone and email to answer your questions throughout the day - please don't hesitate to contact them.

Alternative contact information for organisations normally based in the Town Hall

Age Concern Epsom & Ewell For all enquiries, please email
Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell Advice Line - 01372 732456 or visit
Surrey Police Please use the yellow telephone at the rear of the Town Hall. The nearest walk-in Police Station is Reigate
Surrey County Council For Adult Social Care enquiries, email or call 01372 832360

Council venues

Community & Wellbeing Centre Closed We are temporarily suspending visitor and public access to the Centre.
Bourne Hall Part-closed Ewell Library is open for 'click and collect' and book drop only. The rest of the venue, including museum, cafe and toilets remain closed.
Ewell Court House Closed Closed until further notice
Epsom Playhouse Closed For details on cancelled or rescheduled performances, please check the Epsom Playhouse website
Rainbow Leisure Centre Open Please see the GLL website for more information.

Meals at Home, Transport and Community Alarm

Meals at home Good service Meals are continuing to be delivered. Apply for Meals at home
Transport from home Limited service For emergency GP and hospital appointments only.
Community alarm Good service We are increasing capacity and continuing to run this service. Apply for Community Alarm.

Other Council Services

Wellbeing Daycare Closed We are temporarily suspending visitor and public access to the Wellbeing Centre.
Building Control Limited service The team running a limited service with inspections being carried out with social distancing measures in place.
Epsom Cemetery Open

Please visit the Epsom Cemetery page for amended weekday and weekend opening times.

Pest Control Good service Normal range of pest control activities currently operating as usual.
Public Toilets Open Please visit our Public Toilets webpage for further details.

Waste and recycling

For a full daily update on waste collections, please check this page regularly.

Weekly kerbside collection Normal service All weekly collections are running normally. Check your collection day.
Garden waste Normal service Garden waste collections are running normally. Get your garden waste calendar Join the garden waste service.
Bulky waste Normal service Book a bulky waste collection.
Community Recycling Centre ('the tip') Normal service Please check this page before planning your trip to the tip.

Please consider your neighbours and don’t burn waste material. We are aware some residents are reverting to burning garden waste. The smoke can cause distress especially to those with medical conditions, so we ask that you keep hold of your waste until the community recycling centres are able to reopen.

For more information on composting at home, please check the Surrey Environment Partnership website.

Parks and open spaces

Update to park closing times: From Sunday 23 August, rangers will return to the following parks to ensure gates are locked half an hour before sunset. 

  • Alexandra Recreation Ground (pavilion only)
  • Auriol
  • Bourne Hall Park
  • Court Rec (sports bookings/pavilion only)
  • Ewell Court 
  • Gibraltar Recreation Ground 
  • Horton Country Park (car parks/toilets/info centre)
  • Long Grove 
  • Nonsuch
  • Poole Road
  • Shadbolt Park
  • Stew Ponds car park – Stamford ward

Please remember to follow the government's social distancing guidance when visiting your local parks and open spaces. The Government have also issued advice on access to green spaces. Please remember if you are going out to exercise, we encourage you to stay local and observe social distancing, make sure you stay 2 metres apart from others at all times. If you are walking a dog, keep it under control and on a lead.

Although we have temporarily suspended verge cutting operations we are continuing to cut the parks and we will monitor sight lines to ensure that the highways remain safe for road users.

Nonsuch Park Restricted access The Nonsuch Mansion cafe is open for take-away only.
Long Grove Park Open Please follow safety guidance posters at the Skate Park.
Epsom Downs Minor changes In order to manage the threat of the Covid-19 virus, different arrangements have been instigated on Epsom and Walton Downs - please see this page for more information.
Tennis Courts Open Our outdoor free tennis courts across the borough at Alexandra Recreation Ground, Court Recreation Ground, Poole Road Recreation Ground, Gibraltar Recreation Ground and Auriol Park have re-opened following updated government guidance.
Barbecues Open BBQ sites at Horton Country Park re-open for hire from Monday 24 August with two time slots for hire, 11am-1pm & 3pm-5pm to allow for the sites to be vacated and cleaned. A max of 6 people can attend each BBQ at each session. For more information and to book, please visit this page on our website.
Playgrounds Open Please check information posters at each playground and follow these guidelines when using our playgrounds. 
Outdoor gym equipment Open Please check information posters at each facility and follow these guidelines when using outdoor gym equipment. 
Car parks at open spaces Part closure A majority of car parks at Epsom Downs have now re-opened with the exception of the Old London Road Car Park (also known as the Top Car Park) and the Hyperion Car Park, which remain closed. The following car parks for our parks and open spaces have re-opened to comply with new government guidance: Auriol Park; Gibraltar Recreation Ground; Poole Road Recreation Ground; Long Grove Park; Horton Country Park; Stew Ponds car park; Nonsuch Park.

Parking and car parks

Parking charges: Car park charges in council owned car parks will recommence from Monday 15 June. Free parking will continue to be available to NHS staff, care workers and NHS volunteer responders involved in the Covid-19 response in pay and display car parks only. A key worker pass, which can be issued by your employer, will allow you to park for free when a permit is displayed within the vehicle. 

Epsom Downs: A majority of car parks at Epsom Downs are open with the exception of the Old London Road Car Park (also known as the Top Car Park) and the Hyperion Car Park, which remain closed.

Car parks at open spaces: The following car parks for our parks and open spaces are open and comply with government guidance: Auriol Park; Gibraltar Recreation Ground; Poole Road Recreation Ground; Long Grove Park; Horton Country Park; Stew Ponds Car Park and Nonsuch Park.

Parking enforcement: It is essential that we maintain safe roads and pavements for pedestrians, and the free flow of traffic, particularly for emergency services and refuse collections. Enforcement services will now be steadily returning to normal levels. Please see below frequently asked questions: Are parking restrictions still in place?

Test and Trace Support Payment

Receiving benefits and working? You may be able to apply for the £500 test and trace support payment. Apply for the test and trace self-isolation support payment.

Epsom Market

Food markets are allowed to continue trading under government guidance.

Regular Thursday and Saturday trading on the Market Place will continue as normal with limited stall holders only. We are taking precautions including putting up barriers for customers to queue up in line with social distancing guidelines. We also expect all shoppers to follow government advice whist shopping for essentials.

Environmental Health

If you wish to raise a complaint with regards to environmental health in connection with the Coronavirus outbreak please complete our Report It Form at this link

Please note this is a rapidly moving situation. Any updates on the current situation will be posted here.

For more information and advice, please check the GOV.UK website for Guidance for Food Businesses or seek guidance from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.

Committee Meetings

For full details on postponed or cancelled meetings, please view our calendar of committee meetings.

Reopening high streets safely

This dedicated webpage contains useful links, guidance and ideas to help you reopen safely.  It is also a place where you will be able to find links and information relating to the ‘We are open’ campaign which is running across the borough, supported by the European Regional Development Fund.

Local businesses, grants and business rates

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and are unable to afford your business rates, you should contact us immediately on

You may be eligible for a small business grant (offered by the Government). For information about Business Grants 2020-21 and how to apply, please click here.

A new website has been launched that helps businesses find out how to access the support that has been made available, who is eligible, when the schemes open and how to apply

Please read the following press statement from the Chair of the Strategy & Resources Committee, Cllr Eber Kington, for information on

  • Temporary business rates retail discount
  • Out of hours deliveries
  • Hot food takeaway
  • Statutory sick pay
  • Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme

Guidance for employees and businesses

Businesses can also contact the government's free Business Support Helpline on: 0300 4563565.

Test and trace action cards

The NHS (along with support from the Joint Biosecurity Centre) have published a revised set of Test and Trace ‘action cards’. These cards aim to provide signposting of clear guidance about community protection actions for a range of common scenarios.

For more information, including previously published materials, please visit the Public Health England website.


Volunteering in the borough is being coordinated by Central Surrey Voluntary Action (CSVA) who can be contacted on 01372 722911 or by visiting

Help and advice

If you are worried about your symptoms, use the online NHS 111 coronavirus service or call NHS 111.

Do not go to your GP, pharmacy, hospital or other healthcare setting. Stay at home for 7 days if you have a high temperature or a new, continuous cough.

Surrey County Council have launched a public awareness campaign which highlights five things you can do to help yourself and your community, they are:

  1. Keeping up to date and following the official advice
  2. Sharing only official information and guidance from trusted sources – not spreading rumour or panic
  3. Staying sensible – washing hands regularly, keeping physical distance from each other
  4. Thinking about what help you need or how you can help
  5. And making sure we’re keeping in touch with each other and keep our minds healthy

Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce the social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus Covid-19.

They are:

  1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of Covid-19. These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible
  3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this.
  4. Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs
  5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services

Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is pragmatic.

Public Health England strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

  • are over 70
  • have an underlying health condition
  • are pregnant

This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.

Useful links

Video series

We've produced a series of short videos to help support our communities during the Covid-19 pandemic. Visit our YouTube channel to find out more about the actions we've taken to help residents, support businesses and much more in our emergency response.

Frequently asked questions

Waste and recycling

Are you still emptying the bins as normal?

For full updates on waste and recycling, please check this page on our website.

Is the Community Recycling Centre (The Tip on Longmead Road) still open?

Surrey County Council's Community Recycling Centre ('the tip') in Blenheim Road will operate to its normal opening days. (Updated 1 August 2020). For more information on what you can and cannot recycle at this time, please visit this page on our website

Council Tax

Are you freezing Council tax payments or offer support if I cannot pay due to Covid-19?

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council is not deferring payment of Council Tax. Depending on the circumstances of the individual we are providing the following advice.

  • Those people who are losing their jobs or who have greatly reduced income due to coronavirus should make a claim for Universal Credit and apply to the Council for Council Tax Support.
  • Information on Universal Credit can be found at
  • Information on Council Tax Support can be found at

Anyone who is experiencing financial hardship during this period and is uncertain if they can pay their council tax is being advised to email They should explain their circumstances so the Council can make decisions about council tax payments on an individual basis. For more information, please read our page on help with your Council Tax.

I always visit the Town Hall to pay my Council Tax what can I do now the building is closed?

We have a variety of ways to pay your Council Tax

Business Rates

My business has closed due to COVID-19 and I cannot afford to pay my business rates?

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and are unable to afford your business rates, you should contact us immediately on our email address

How do I apply for the small business grant being offered by the Government?

There is information is on our website about the schemes available and how to apply. Additionally, businesses can contact the government's free Business Support Helpline on: 0300 456 3565.

How much grant am I going to get, when will I receive payment and how are you going to tell me as my business is closed?

For discounts and relief, please visit this page on our website. For information on Business Grants 2020-21 please click here.

Support services

I am self-isolating at home, please can you help me with me with my shopping and collecting my prescription?

Please enquire about our shopping service using this online form. For prescriptions, please check with your own Pharmacy in the first instance, as they may be able to deliver your prescription. In emergency circumstances where a friends of family member cannot deliver food or prescriptions to you, please contact us on 01372 732000.


Are parking restrictions still in place?

It is essential that we maintain safe roads and pavements for pedestrians, and the free flow of traffic, particularly for emergency services and refuse collections.At the start of the outbreak, we recognised there was less parking capacity on some of our residential roads. Surrey County Council, as the local highway authority, agreed to temporarily suspend parking restrictions on single yellow lines in quiet residential roads.

However, with the noticeable increase in cars on the road enforcement services will now be steadily returning to normal levels. In the weeks commencing 8 and 15 June, warning notices will be served in residential roads on single yellow lines and areas of residential parking with full enforcement services to resume from Monday 22 June. Any dangerous or inconsiderate parking, parking in disabled bays, at bus stops and on double yellow lines will continue to be enforced.

How can I renew my parking permit as the Town Hall is closed?

Please use our online service whilst the Town Hall is closed.


I want to help in my community who can I contact?

Volunteering in the borough is being co-ordinated by Central Surrey Voluntary Action (CSVA) and information can be found on their website or by ringing 01372 722911.

Council Staff

What are the council staff doing?

Our staff are helping to provide essential services to residents across the borough including providing meals at home and shopping services.