Food premises inspections
The primary responsibility for identifying food hazards and putting into place controls rests with food business proprietors. We carry out inspections of food premises for the following reasons:
- To find whether businesses are complying with food hygiene regulations and establish whether food is being handled, produced and sold hygienically
- To take action when this is not the case
- To work with local businesses in improving food hygiene standards
- To establish whether food is safe to eat, or will be with further processing
- To investigate incidences of food poisoning or injury as a consequence of consumption of food
Our team has the main responsibility for enforcing the provisions of Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 and The Food Hygiene and Safety (England) Regulations 2013 in relation to food safety.
You can also find information on the Food Standards Agency (FSA) website.