Stylesheets are not available for this website in your specific browser


Contact us online
Tel: 01372 732000
 07950 080202

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY


Follow us onand
Parking Fines and Appeals

This page provides information about the parking fines and the appeal system if you are found to have breached parking regulations in the Borough of Epsom & Ewell.

With effect from 31 March 2008, differential parking penalties, depending upon the severity of the contravention, were introduced in the Borough of Epsom & Ewell. Some less serious contraventions now attract a lower rate of penalty, whilst others considered more serious are now penalised at a higher rate.

The 50% discount remains for both types of contraventions.

For further information, please see the Traffic Management Act 2004.

Surrey County Council on street Traffic Orders

Link to all traffic orders relating to Epsom & Ewell Borough Council.

Why are there parking restrictions?

The aim of parking restrictions is to increase the safety on the roads and around schools, reduce congestion and to improve traffic flow generally. They are not seen as a method of raising revenue.

Parking Restrictions

Parking restrictions are enforced at all times including Bank Holidays.

For further information, please see the Highway Code.

How are the parking restrictions enforced?

This function is called Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE) and is managed by the Borough Council on behalf of Surrey County Council. We employ Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs) who patrol the off-street car parks as well as the roads and areas where restrictions apply and will issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) as necessary.

How to pay

Details of how to pay the fine are printed on the reverse of the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

Payments can be made via this link or by calling Customer Services on 01372 732000.

Challenging a PCN

If you disagree with the issuing of the PCN and wish to appeal please click on the link below.

Please note appeals cannot be accepted over the phone.

If you appeal a PCN you should not make payment. On receipt of your appeal, the PCN is placed on hold and will not progress any further whilst your appeal is considered.

To register your appeal, please use our online appeal form. Please also attach any supporting evidence where requested.When submitting your appeal please include your PCN number and your vehicle registration number along with all contact details We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Data Protection - Any information you provide will be used by us for the purpose of dealing with this PCN and will not be disclosed to the public. This information may be provided to organisations working on our behalf to rectify a problem.

If for any reason you are unable to appeal online please contact our Customer Service on 01372 732000 or send your appeal to:

Customer Services
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY

The appeal should include:

  • Your PCN number (the number beginning EE or PM)
  • A return postal address or email address
  • Any supporting evidence

We aim to respond to all correspondence within 10 working days.

If you contact us during the 14 days discounted period and your representation is rejected, we will give you a further 14 days to pay at the discounted rate.

If you do not pay or challenge your ticket within 28 days

A PCN must be paid before the end of the 28 day period beginning from the date the PCN was served. If it is not, a Notice to Owner is sent to the DVLA registered keeper (regardless of who was driving).

Notice to Owner

A Notice to Owner (NTO) should normally be served within six months of the PCN. It provides an opportunity to either pay the outstanding penalty or make a ‘formal representation’. Further details can be located on the NTO.

The PCN needs to be paid or representations made before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date that the NTO was served.

Representations made after this date may not be considered.

Statutory reasons for making representations are:

  • Contravention did not occur
  • Not owner of vehicle
  • Vehicle taken without consent
  • Hire/lease vehicle
  • Exceeded amount payable
  • Procedural impropriety
  • Invalid Traffic Order
  • The Penalty Charge Notice has been paid
  • Other Grounds.
Appealing to an Adjudicator

If you disagree with the Council's decision and wish to lodge a formal appeal with an independent adjudicator, you must make a formal representation to us after we have sent out an NTO.

This means that even if you have contacted us before you receive the NTO, you must make a second representation to us once you have received the NTO. If we reject this second representation, you can then appeal to an adjudicator.

The NTO form includes a specific section to fill in if you want to lodge a formal representation to us.

Please ensure you follow the instructions on the NTO, and provide any supporting evidence.

We must receive your representation before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date that the NTO was served. Alternatively, you can still make a full payment during this period by following the instructions on the NTO.

If the representation is successful, a Notice of Acceptance is sent and the penalty is cancelled.

If the representation is unsuccessful, a Notice of Rejection is sent. With every Notice of Rejection, we will enclose an appeal form enabling you to apply to have the case considered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT).

What happens if a penalty is not paid after a NTO has been served?

If you do not pay a penalty we will take steps to recover the amount due.

Twenty eight days after the NTO is served, the charge may increase by 50% and a Charge Certificate may be issued. At this point there is no right of appeal to the Council or the Independent Adjudicator.

Fourteen days after a Charge Certificate is served, if the PCN remains unpaid, we will register the debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre. This does not involve a court hearing and does not impact on a person’s credit rating; however an additional £7 fee will be added to the outstanding charge.

At any stage in the process, you can still pay the total outstanding charge. If after 21 days, the debt is still not paid, a Warrant of Execution will be granted and we will pass the debt to a bailiff company. At this point the PCN can no longer be settled with Epsom & Ewell Borough Council. It must be paid to the bailiff.

The bailiff will take such steps as permitted in law to make contact and to recover the amount due. They are allowed to add fees to the debt to cover the costs of sending letters and making personal visits. However, the amount due to the Council will not increase. If you have been contacted by a bailiff company and do not make arrangements to pay the debt, your vehicle or goods may be seized and sold at auction.

External Audit of Accounts 2014/15

The council is a member of the Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee. The Joint Committee publishes an Annual Statement of Accounts which is subject to External Audit and the arrangements for 2014/15 can be found on the PATROL website.

page updated: Thursday, 13 October 2016 © Epsom & Ewell Borough Council 2016